Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Nerdicus Genesis Review #38: Bubble and Squeak


Title : Bubble and Squeak

Publisher : Audiogenic Software

Developer : Audiogenic Software

Genre : Platformer

Players :  1 Player

Release Date : 1994

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $15-$25

I swear, this better not be another damn bubble gum game for the Genesis. I just suffered through one, and I really can't imagine there being more games about bubble gum. The box art certainly doesn't look promising. You've got some punk kid who you really just want to slap across the back of the head and tell him to go get an education, being followed by some blue Gummy Bear blowing pink bubbles...

Why couldn't it just be spit bubbles? Why is it bubble gum!? Does sega have some sort of fetish with bubble gum!? I don't even know...I can't take this. ITS DRIVING ME MAD!!!

Sorry, I just don't like games that are using a cross between Bart Simpson and Stitch from Lilo & Stitch as their main characters. Seriously, doesn't it look like a bad rendition of Bart? Come on...agree with me someone.
For some reason the kids name is Bubble too. You would think the Alien's name is bubble, but no that's squeak. Squeak is blowing bubbles, and bubbles is popping bubbles. This game makes absolutely no sense already, I can't wait.

Okay, I'm running on fumes here so let's get this crap fest over with. Can't believe I'm playing another damn Sega game with bubbles. I HATE BUBBLE GUM. Prove me wrong Bubble and Squeak..please...prove me wrong


Alright, the game is obviously meant for kids. You've got this alien named Squeak, who's family (along with the entire population of his planet) has been kidnapped by some villain named Kat of Nine Tails. YUP! So Squeak escapes to Earth and recruits this little kid named Bubble to help out.

Yeah, like Bubble is REALLY helpful in this type of situation.

In the game, you are only controlling Bubble, but you can give commands to Squeak such as waiting and following. Squeak doesn't do much besides walk around helping you collect items, and giving you much needed boosts to get to new areas of the platforming levels.


Let's talk about the gameplay.....and let's be serious for a second. The game is good....THAT'S RIGHT! Bubble and Squeak has proved me wrong. I'm talking surprisingly very good. It reminds me a little bit of the Lost Vikings where you need to get your vikings to the end of the level all together but each one is important to solving different elements of various puzzles.

Think of this game as an intro to that. As Bubbles you will be able to defeat enemies that are in your way, but like I said earlier, you'll also be able to command Squeak to take care of things that are otherwise impossible for you. That with the combination of gaining new powers by the use of gum ball machines, the game will keep you guessing.

The puzzles increase in difficulty as you move on through the levels, but for the more experienced gamer it's nothing but an easy pass. The game truly is meant for kids to discover the true notion of puzzle platformers. And for that, I give it props.


The game is vibrant, and the music is upbeat, and it really does the job of throwing you into "a happy place." It's simplistic in design, but challenging in execution. It's not easy for me to admit this, but this is a very good bubble-gum based game. If you can call it that. There really isn't much gum in this game.

More mature gamers will probably let this game slide, but for a youngin, this is a perfect stepping stone for the more challenging games of a similar genre. Give it to your kid, and let them have a go.

I stand corrected Bubble and Squeak..you have impressed me....you're good. NOT GREAT..but good. You're like Bubba and Stix...part 1....

Final Score (out of 5) :


Until Next time - Keep on Gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment